Sunday, May 23, 2010

The Surf Lodge




I just got back from Montauk yesterday. It was exactly what I needed to kick the summer off. I never made it out to Montauk last year, so I had a lot to catch up on, The Surf Lodge being at the top of my list. Last summer I blindly wrote a piece for To27 explaining my thoughts on The Surf Lodge, which as a journalist/blogger (whatever the hell you want to call me) may have been unfair. But as I stepped foot onto the deck to watch the sunset and the first person I saw was a guy loudly talking into his cell phone in a matching zip up track suit and slicked back hair (you know who you are and please go back to South Hampton) I couldn't help but think I had been right all along.

First lets talk about the room rates. $400 a night and you are on the Pond, not the ocean, a pond. And don't fool yourself, its not a lake, its a pond...as in you can clearly see to the other side. Not to pimp out the East Deck, because it has its flaws too, but the rooms there are going for $99 a night now and after Memorial Day are only $199. At the East Deck you are literally on Ditch Plains beach. Granted I didn't have a brightly colored hammock on my balcony, but I could however hear the ocean as I slept - beat that Surf Lodge. And let me say that if The Surf Lodge had a pool and had some sort of afternoon pool party this might be a completely different story.

As you can see from the images above this place is beautifully decorated. Every detail is right on. One day when I own my very own Montauk surf shack I would love it to look just like this. It looks just as it does on the website - completely perfected beachy chic. It really doesn't get any better.

Aside from the ridiculously high room rates for a pond view all other prices there were completely competitive. I did have one little issue with the service - there was an auto gratuity placed placed on a round of drinks I ordered for 4 people. I think at this point everyone is aware that if you are a party of 6 or more you will be auto-grat'd, but if you are auto-grat'ing for a party of 4 that needs to be clearly stated somewhere on the bill, which this wasn't.

So the moral of this story? Heading out to Montauk? Stay at the East Deck. Hang out at the Surf Lodge. And give your tab a close look.

3 comments:

emily said...

the surf lodge really isnt for me either...especially when the summer gets in full swing and there are 100000 kids there.

they auto grat every single bill - even parties of 1. i know a bartender there and he said they each makes thousands off this every summer...especially since its not clearly marked.

Arax-Rae Van Buren said...

Wow Emily - Thanks for that confirmation. I was really taken back by it. It is essentially stealing. As someone who has worked in the service industry before I was really, really turned off by it. Thanks for sharing your insider info!

Arax-Rae Van Buren said...

Hey Emily! You're google profile isn't enabled. I have a few questions for you. If you could email me at a.vanburen@kissandtype.com!
Thanks. xx