Sunday, April 11, 2010

VENMO


At around 2:30 today I'm going to be strolling into Poco on the lower east side for the celebratory birthday brunch of a good friend. We will all eat and drink with no end in sight until of course the check comes, when inevitably there is the fun matter of dividing the bill. Who has cash? Who has credit? Who had 1 bloody? Who had 8? Talk about a brunch buzz kill. What if there was a way to quickly transfer funds between you and your friends just by sending a text message? It would be genius right? Enter VENMO, the site created to do just that. All you need to do to get started is 1. create an account 2. "trust" people you would like to exchange funds 3. enter all your banking information. And just like that you're ready to brunch!


SINCE THE SITE IS STILL IN BETA YOU WILL NEED THIS CODE TO BECOME A MEMBER : aj0330g

If you eat out in groups constantly, never carry cash, or haven't been able to locate your check book since Bank of America announced online banking, then VENMO my friends is for you!

If you want more information on VENMO head over to Vayner Media.

6 comments:

Riannon said...

Perfect!

kortina said...

Brunch is one of my favorite places to use Venmo too. If you're in NYC, btw, what are some of your fav brunch spots? I am kind of on a quest to find the best bacon. Currently, Cookshop and Clinton St Baking Co are my top bacon choices.

Edie Lively said...

Ahhh, the dilemmas!
The absolute agony of trying to divide up all those brunch tabs you and your kind rack up on Sunday's in NYC.
I mean, please.
Girl- reality check.
That "Feed Haiti" bag you sport isn't getting any fuller just because you are.
Why don't you all try volunteering at a soup kitchen?
Yawn... your problems are so miniscule!

Edie Lively said...

Ahhh, the dilemmas!
The absolute agony of trying to divide up all those brunch tabs you and your kind rack up on Sunday's in NYC.
I mean, please.
Girl- reality check.
That "Feed Haiti" bag you sport isn't getting any fuller just because you are.
Why don't you all try volunteering at a soup kitchen?
Yawn... your problems are so miniscule!

Arax-Rae Van Buren said...

Kortina - Recently I've been to both Poco and Spitzer's Corner for brunch. Poco was great because they had a special where for $22 you got an entree plus 3 drinks, but if you are looking for good bacon I'm going to have to recommend Spitzer's. Spitzer's was a little bit more expensive, but the its worth it!
Thanks for stopping in!
xx

Arax-Rae Van Buren said...

Edie -

Thank you for your regular comments, both positive and negative, I feel that they really add to the conversations that are being had on K&T.

First I'd like to say that I posted this entry on VENMO not because it is an "absolute agony" to divide up bills but more an annoying activity that takes place at least once a weekend. I am always blown away by new advances in technology that eliminate even the smallest annoyances.

In reference to your comment about volunteering at a soup kitchen my thoughts are this, we all give back in ways that we are comfortable with. You may give back to your community by volunteering at soup kitchens - and that's great! - but I choose to give back in other ways. You mentioned my post on the "Feed Haiti" bag, while that isn't me literally rolling my sleeves up, I do receive thousands of viewers each week who will hopefully read that post and be inspired to contribute to the cause as well. That's how I have chosen to give back and that's what works for me.

We could all be doing more for our communities, but am I going to feel one ounce of young urban professional guilt for going to brunch with my friends on my only day off this week? No. I'm sorry if that offends you.

If you would like to discuss this further please feel free to email me at a.vanburen@kissandtype.com