Friday, April 2, 2010

BIRTHDAY!

It has been almost a week since my birthday and I'm just now getting around to writing this post. It's weird you know, turning 25 and all. It's definitely one of those milestone birthdays where you find yourself playing this fun masochistic game of "you : where you are now" vs. "you : where you'd thought you'd be". I can confidently say that I spent the entire month of March in a weird identity crisis that has resulted in a few unfortunate impulse buys and even more unfortunate impulse flip outs. I think everyone has times in the their life where they reflect and have regrets; rethink breakups, leaving jobs, transferring schools, whatever it may be - and for those of you who know me, or any of my story, you can assume at this pivotal birthday I had my fair share. So as I rounded this corner to mid-twenties I took a deep breath and assessed - I thought, I wrote, I ate, I talked, I ate some more - and at the end of it all, when thinking about the things that really matter, I've realized that somehow I made it to 25 with my feet firmly planted where I have always hoped they'd be [Full Disclosure: -$500 in my checking and +5 lbs on the scale]. This "place" where I am now, does it look like I thought it would? No. Does it pay what I thought it would? No. Am I as fulfilled and happy as I ever thought I'd be, both personally and professionally? Yes. So I've decided, now that I'm in my mid-twenties and actually an "adult", to give myself a break and enjoy right where I am. I guess the moral of this story is: It's ok to regret, it's ok to reassess, it's ok to have a nervous break down in LF and put those horrible silver grommet heals that you will never wear on your just paid off credit card... just every once in awhile stop questioning yourself and take a look around - You may have ended up right where you'd always hoped, you just may not recognize it.



Nothing is ever looks the way you imagined it... but sometimes, if you're lucky, it can look even better.

No comments: