Saturday, August 15, 2009

How to Prevent the Freshman 15!


I recently gave an interview to Health.com on one of my more sensitive subjects, the weight I gained in college. Before college I had never been someone that needed to worry about what they ate. I grew up in a health conscious house (read : image conscious), and for the most part junk foods were never available to me. Once I had a swipe card in my possession all bets were off. I'm also sure that drinking 5 nights a week may have had something to do with it. It has taken me close to 3 years to take the weight off. Check out a portion of the article below... Seeing my stretch marks in print is almost as bad as on my thighs, but if I can stop an unfortunate freshman from gaining a few pounds its worth the humiliation.

"A 2006 study by Cornell University researchers suggests that daily weight-monitoring can be a useful tool for keeping college weight gain in check. Arax-Rae Van Buren, 24, who gained 20 pounds her first year at Arizona State University, agrees that nutritional education and self-monitoring would have helped her. “I gained the weight so fast I still have stretch marks on my inner thighs,” she admits."



No comments: