Wednesday, July 15, 2009

New York Times : Blogger Article


I read a really interesting article in the NY Times the other day on how "gift giving" effects blogs. The article, Approval by a Blogger May Please a Sponsor, was really more about the future regulations and a code of journalistic ethics that are going to be in place for bloggers. Here is my opinion on the subject ... Do I receive free stuff? Yes, all the time. Do I always give positive feed back on every product? No. Case and point, the free Toy Watch I received a couple of months back. And bloggers aren't the only ones accepting free products for posts. I've spent enough time in the PR world to know that there is not a single placement in any publication without some serious gifting involved... a kick back? No, just a perk of the industry. How are people supposed to make an informed decision without actually having the product in front of them? A high-res image can only go so far. But I do believe that when a blogger is receiving monetary compensation that it no longer becomes a gift, it becomes advertisement, and that needs to be noted. So going forward any sponsored posts will be labeled with a [sp] at the end.

And as for the free products? Keep 'em coming.

No comments: